It is absolutely CRAZY to think that at this time last year I had never met any of my co-workers in person, never seen my students’ faces, and never even set foot in South America. This year has brought a lot of changes to our lives, but it has been an incredible journey. To those of you who have followed our time here, THANK YOU so much for your prayers and support. You have no idea how powerful prayer is and how much we have been encouraged by you.
As I look back at this past year, I wanted to give you a brief summary of the awesome things happening here at Highlands, so you can celebrate with us! God is truly using this school in amazing ways, and it has been a blessing to be part of it.
- At least THREE students made first-time, personal commitments to Jesus Christ.
- TWO of our students were baptized on campus after making those decisions.
- EIGHT students attended a Global Leadership Summit in Lima, Peru where they were able to interact with students from all over the world, brainstorm solutions to globalization issues, and learn leadership and innovation skills.
THIRTEEN students and several teachers spent their spring break traveling to the jungle region of Bolivia for a mission trip. They worked hard all week painting a church and school, building living quarters for full-time missionaries, and leading a VBS where they reached over ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY children with the Gospel message, some hearing it for the very first time!
This year, we integrated Discipleship Groups into our actual school day. Every other Tuesday, approximately SEVENTY PERCENT of our students participate in these groups and are discipled by staff members and, in some cases, older students. This is in addition to those groups that already meet outside of school! Andrew and one of our friends, Jordan, also hosted a guys’ discipleship group at our place every Thursday, and I was blessed to spend time with a group of senior girls outside of school as well.
FIFTEEN students graduated and are going on to attend college and work in Bolivia, Canada, the U.S., the U.K., Italy, and the Czech Republic. We are excited for their accomplishments and look forward to the ways God will use them as they disperse!
Our school is growing! Next year, we will be able to have TWO pre-K classes, and we hope to continue this trend year after year to eventually double our student population. Just a reminder: Many of the students and families at Highlands come in as non-Christians seeking a good, English-language education for their children. Through our Christian staff, Bible classes, weekly chapels, mission trips, and other interactions, we are able to share the Gospel with them daily! The more students that come through our door, the more impact we can have in La Paz.
We are excited to head back to the states for the summer for some rest and relaxation, and excited to return again to La Paz in July. As we look forward to next school year, we have some prayer requests. Please join us in praying over the following:
- We have FIVE new staff members hired for next year. Transitioning is never easy. Please pray for them and their families as they say farewell to their current homes and lives, go through the process of packing and moving, and begin life here in Bolivia.
- We still have THREE open positions that need to be filled! Please pray for our administration as they continue working through the hiring process, and pray also that God will bring the right people to our team.
- We said goodbye to EIGHT staff members this year. Once again, transitions are not easy. Please pray for them as they move on to new jobs and endeavors, and in some cases back to the U.S.
- We want to continue growing as a school. Please pray for students and families to be brought to Highlands who have soft hearts to the Gospel, and pray for the construction and long-term planning efforts that need to happen in order to make physical room for growth on our campus!
Thank you for your continued support of Andrew and I and the Highlands’ community. We hope to see as many of you as possible while we are in the states this summer! Here are some photos of this year’s highlights: